Q: Bad gas mileage on a 2000 Dodge

2000 Dodge 5.2 L V8. I've noticed I get horrible gas mileage compared to what it should be. I replaced the oxygen sensor but it doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? Do I need a new fuel pump? It has a 155,000 miles.

A: The fuel pump doesn't have anything to ...

The fuel pump doesn't have anything to do with the bad gas mileage. A fuel pump, if it isn't working right, either causes the vehicle to not be able to go to certain speed or it won't run at all. It's not going to make gas mileage worse.

Those are giant trucks and they are gas hogs. That's just how they are. But if you used to get 12 mpg and now you're getting 8 mpg, then there is something wrong. On those, a lot of times, it is the fuel injectors either need replacing or cleaning. So you might want to try my video "how to clean fuel injectors on your car" and have them pressure cleaned. If you don't have any of that equipment, you can have a mechanic such as one from YourMechanic, pressure clean your fuel injectors. A lot of times, that would fix it and you might not have to buy a new one.