Q: Are the wheel bearings in the 98 lincoln navigator pressed in?

Just want to know if the wheel bearings in my 98 lincoln navigator are pressed on or not so I know if it can be done without taking to shop

Hello. We will be happy to answer your question. The wheel bearings on a Lincoln Navigator are pressed down but not pressed in in the fashion that you may think. They can be removed by hand but you will have to have a bearing cup replacer to use with a hammer in order to install the new bearing flush inside the rotor. You should be able to purchase a wheel bearing cup replacer at Harbor Freight or any auto parts store. Since you are replacing the wheel bearing yourself I will provide you with the proper instructions so you may review them before-hand. Good Luck!

Raise and support the vehicle; for additional information, refer to Section 100-02. CAUTION: Do not use heat to loosen a seized lug nut. Heat can damage the wheel and the wheel bearings.

Remove the tire and wheel assembly; for additional information, refer to Section 204-04. Remove the front disc brake caliper and anchor plate; for additional information, refer to Section 206-03. Remove the hub grease cap (1131), cotter pin and retainer nut. Remove the hub grease cap. Remove and discard the cotter pin. Remove the retainer nut. Remove the spindle nut. Remove the front wheel outer bearing retainer washer (1195) and the outer front wheel bearing. Remove the brake disc and hub (1102). Remove the inner front wheel bearing. Remove and discard the wheel hub grease seal (1190). Remove the inner front wheel bearing. Using a drift, remove the bearing cups. NOTE: Do not spin the bearing dry with compressed air. Clean the bearings with solvent and dry thoroughly. Inspect the bearings for cracks, nicks, brinelling or seized rollers. Install new if necessary. Clean the old lubricant from the hub, spindle and bearing cups. Inspect the cups for scratches, pits or cracks. Install new if necessary. Inspect the front wheel spindle (3105) for pitting, scratches or scoring. Repair or install a new spindle as needed. Installation Using a suitable bearing cup replacer, install the wheel bearing outer cup (1217). Using a suitable bearing cup replacer, install the wheel bearing inner cup. Fill the hub until the grease is flush with the inside diameters of both bearing cups. Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B. Using a bearing packer, pack the bearing cone and roller with wheel bearing grease. Install the inner front wheel bearing. Install a new wheel hub grease seal. Apply a light coat of grease on the front wheel spindle. Use Premium Long-Life Grease XG-1-C or -K or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESA-M1C75-B. CAUTION: Keep the brake disc centered on the front wheel spindle to prevent damage to the wheel hub grease seal. Install the brake disc and hub on the front wheel spindle. Install the outer front wheel bearing (1216) and the front wheel outer bearing retainer washer. Install the spindle nut. NOTE: The brake disc and hub should be rotated while adjusting front wheel bearing end play. Tighten the spindle nut. Loosen the spindle nut two turns. Tighten the spindle nut while rotating the brake disc counterclockwise. Loosen the spindle nut. Tighten the spindle nut. Install the following components: Install the retainer nut. Install a new cotter pin. Install the hub grease cap. Install the front disc brake caliper anchor plate; for additional information, refer to Section 206-03. NOTE: If equipped with air suspension, reactivate the system by turning on the air suspension switch. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Position the tire and wheel assembly. Install the lug nuts and lower the vehicle. Tighten the lug nuts in sequence. Install the wheel cover (1130).