Q: Air idle control valve bad? Loss of power and sluggish

The guy at the shop when I got my brakes changes told me I need a new air idle control... getting low power periodically when pressing the gas

You should have a second opinion on the part that needs replaced. The engine has a throttle body that is electronic and controls power. There are other sensors involved that can control the loss of power. You should have the computer engine controls tested and diagnosed since the throttle body assembly is very expensive to replace and may not be the cause of the failure. Have a mechanic like one from YourMechanic to test the system and diagnose the no power cause.

Hello. The issue your vehicle is having is more than likely not caused by a bad idle air control valve. Some possible causes for such low power conditions are a clogged fuel filter, clogged catalytic converter, dirty throttle body inlet, vacuum leak, open EGR valve, or even a clogged air filter. There’s also a possibility that the low-power condition you are experiencing is transmission related. The transmissions used in your vehicle are a new design by Ford. It uses to automatic clutches in place of the generic torque converter. The clutches are controlled by several computer controlled sensors and modules. You may have a bad sensor on your transmission which is causing an issue. I suggest that you have a technician perform an inspection of your vehicle and run an OBDII scan diagnostic to find the exact cause for the low-power condition. You’re able to find a technician for such diagnosis and book an appointment here

https://www.yourmechanic.com

3. Air idle control valve bad? Loss of power and sluggish