Q: aftermarket remote engine start alarm system in car causing fuses to blow

asked by on June 14, 2016

I had Circuit City install an aftermarket remote engine start alarm system in my car, because Mitsubishi refused to do it for me. After the system was installed random fuses started to blow. I replaced all of the blown fuses. Everything seems OK for now, but wanted to know if the remote engine start alarm system caused the fuses to blow.

In this situation, I can only provide my best guess as to what is going on. Without knowing where and how Circuit City hooked up the remote start and what model was used, this is the best answer I can provide. Given that the fuses started to blow after the remote start installation, I would guess that yes this was the cause. Replacing the fuses is a band aid to the problem and it most likely will not be a permanent solution until the fault that caused them to blow is resolved. Depending on what power source the remote start system has installed, it can overtax the circuit and cause fuses to blow. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to perform an electrical inspection and replace any fuses as needed.