Q: After fuel pump & filter replacements, car won't start

Even though I replaced the fuel pump and the filter, my car still won’t start. I checked the relays and all of them are good. The fuel rail has pressure going to it and the pump does kick on. With starting fluid, it will turn over. What ideas can you give me to get my car running. Thanks.

Hello there, I’ll be happy to assist you! The problem is likely within the VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) of the vehicle. More specifically the issue you are having is generally caused by broken sensor inside of the ignition lock cylinder. I’m more inclined to think that the ignition key cylinder is your problem because if it fails the fuel pump will send gas to the engine but the computer won’t send spark to the engine, causing a no start condition.

I’d recommend having a certified technician remove your ignition key cylinder to test it and inspect the related wiring to properly diagnose your starting issue. Also, being that the vehicle will not start you may benefit from a mobile automotive repair services such as YourMechanic.

3. After fuel pump & filter replacements, car won't start