Q: Advice on how long conventional oil can last and how often to change it

How long can conventional motor oil really last? Most people change it on 3,000-5,000 miles but some say it can go 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Can it really last that long?

You’ve got to realize that it depends on how you drive and where you drive. I personally change my oil in my own car every 3,000 miles because I don’t drive that much. I don’t even drive 3,000 miles a year so I generally change my oil once a year.

If you drive on the highway all the time, you can get away with changing it every 5,000 miles or even 7,500 miles if you do a lot of high-speed driving since you don’t get much wear going at a continuous speed. or example, those big 18-wheel diesel trucks on the highway typically change their oil every 15-20,000 miles, because they are going 65 miles per hour steadily. It really doesn’t wear down the engine much at that continuous speed.

However, if you do a lot of stop-and-go city driving, then it is a good idea to change it every 3,000 miles if you have conventional oil and every 5,000 miles if you use full-synthetic oil.

3. Advice on how long conventional oil can last and how often to change it