Q: Advice on draining oil

What would be best to drain your oil if it's sitting over night? My thought is put most oil in the pan by starting the warmer oil on the upper parts to get less out. What are your thoughts?

A: It depends on your level of patience. Of co...

It depends on your level of patience. Of course, if you drain it when it is cold, all the crud from the bottom of it drains. You will get more stuff out, if you have patience. Because, the oil sticks and it takes longer to drain out. So, if you don't mind taking that bowl and letting it sit for 20-25 minutes, go right ahead.

But, most people don't have that time. They'll change them when they are warm and then it will flow out faster. But, you will get more if you take your time and do it when it is cold. That's personally what I do on my own cars because I like to get all the crud out. I do it when it's cold. I let it sit over night. I've got time and usually, I do it on that car while working on another car, and then come back later to finish the job. If you'd like, you could have a mechanic perform an oil change for you, so that you can avoid going through this hassle.