Q: Accidentally brushed start/stop button and car shut down

While I was driving on the interstate, I was reaching for the navigation screen to select something and my hand accidentally lightly brushed across the engine start/stop button. My car immediately turned off. Fortunately there was not heavy traffic so I was able to get to the exit and coast to the top of the ramp. I pulled over. There had been four lanes of traffic and I literally had no control over any cars coming from behind me. I wondered if I would have to have it towed. The steering and the brakes fortunately did not lock up. I was later told I should have put the car into neutral, stepped on the brakes, and restart the car. That seems impossible to do at high speeds on the interstate. I duplicated the problem at a nearby neighborhood parking lot and it was easy to stop my car when it was in motion, but I still could not start it without stepping on the brake. Can you tell me if there is a way to put a safety cover over the start/stop button or some way more pressure can be added to the button?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 2014 Buick Verano. There is not an immediately available safety switch like this. However, anything is possible to make for a certain price. You may want to take the car to the dealer and ask if this is something they can fabricate, although this will likely be something they may shy away from due to liability reasons. Unfortunately, the issue of putting more pressure to the button is also a difficult problem due to the fact that these switches rely on a specific amount of pressure (spring loaded) to operate at the correct intervals when pushed.