Q: AC stops working occasionally

Hi. The AC in my car is not working correctly. On trips that last about an hour or more, it stops cooling and barely works. Occasionally, when it doesn't work at all, it sounds as if it is working pretty hard. Restarting helps sometimes. Usually, it takes about half an hour for it to be turned off so that it could start cooling again. The car has a mileage of about 115,000 miles. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Hello. This is a common problem on this vehicle. It is usually caused by a failing actuator under the dash. It can also be one of the temperature sensors but that is not as common. I usually install a scan tool to monitor what the AC module is requesting. If it starts to get hot for no reason I then check the actuator to see if it stops holding the blend door in the right position. If not, then the actuator needs to be replaced. If the actuator is fine then the sensors need to be checked. If those are also fine I reprogram the control module and then replace it if it will not hold the programming. If you need to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your AC system and make the correct repair(s).