Q: Ac cuts off after a while

asked by on July 08, 2016

2003 Volkswagen Beetle. Ac blows cold, after a while when the fans turn on at a higher rpm, the compressor shuts off.

While the engine is running and the air conditioning system is commanded on, both cooling fans in the assembly should be powered on. The vehicle will turn the air conditioning compressor on and off depending on the system load in an effort to increase fuel efficiency. Your symptoms sound to me as if the air conditioning system senses a higher than normal temperature or pressure and increases the fan speed in an effort to cool things down. If the temperature or pressure does not decrease after some time, the system can shut down the air conditioning compressor in an attempt to prevent damage. This is the same if the engine begins to rise too high above the acceptable operating temperature. The vehicle can shut down the air conditioning system to lessen the load on the engine. Have one of our experienced technicians make a visit to look over the vehicle and diagnose your air conditioning issue.