Q: Ac compressor stop working and now there's a loud noise

My ac compressor stoped working and now there is a loud noise and a smell of some what like plastic burning

A: Hi. The compressor has clutches inside the ...

Hi. The compressor has clutches inside the pulley the belt goes on to turn the compressor. These clutches tend to lock up when the compressor goes bad and cause a burning smell make the belt burn up and break. It doesn't sound like the belt has broken yet but the clutches are causing the compressor to burn up, and eventually the belt will burn up, too. I suggest you stop driving the car and get the compressor fixed as as possible and also have the belt replaced as well. If you need help with this repair, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the AC system to verify the problems and assist with the proper repairs.