Q: A whole created by rust on the rear beam axle of my VW MK4 Golf GTI. Should I get it welded or buy a new rear beam axle?

asked by on August 03, 2017

A whole created by rust on the rear beam axle of my VW MK4 Golf GTI. Should I get it welded or buy a new rear beam axle? The hole is right next to where the straight beam mountings connect either side of the rear wheel construction.

I would suggest replacing the axle beam. As you may know, rust acts a bit like a cancerous contaminant to metal and is very difficult to remove entirely once it sets in. As the Iron oxide forms when the iron and oxygen in the air meet with water or moisture it becomes very difficult to stop the spreading of the rust once it starts. The easiest and most effective way to get rid of the rust is to remove it entirely.