Q: A rattle when first start up

G'day champ I have a Nissan patrol 3.0 turbo I'm concerned when I start up when cold or stopped for a while the engine has like a chain sound rattle. is it the timing chain or the fan belt or something else . It has an after market fan belt not a Nissan one . after I start it up an it warms it goes away . It's not run rough it actually is run very good an smooth . It has 204550 on the clock. It looks like it has a new pulleys on it . Just the rattle I'm very concerned about it . Can you put my mind at ease. Thanks Brett

A: G'day Brett: Without knowing exactly w...

G'day Brett:

Without knowing exactly what type of Nissan you have, or being there to inspect the vehicle, it's hard to tell you why the engine is rattling when you start the vehicle. However, in most cases, the initial rattle is probably caused by a loose radiator fan shroud bracket,ancillary part on the car, or in the engine compartment. If the rattle continues for a while, it may be caused by an internal component that is loose or damaged. I would recommend having a professional mechanic take a look at your Nissan to determine exactly what's causing the sounds you're hearing. YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a professional mechanic that will commute to your location to inspect the rattling.