Q: A few service recommended by last shop

The last shop I took it to recommended the oil pan gasket be replaced. I don't see any leaks anywhere and this is a pretty expensive repair so I'm not sure about this one.

Recommendation #2 - Replace Valve Cover Gasket. Recommendation #3 - Tie Rod Ends (Right-Outer - both) so I'm assuming Front and Rear. Recommendation #4 - Sway Bar Links/kit - Front Stabilizer Bar Control Link - Both.

Can you give me some insight as to whether I need these or not and what are the results if not done. Thanks.

Hi there:

Believe it or not, each of these parts are designed to wear out over time; which is why they’re probably being recommended for replacement. If the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, tie rod ends and sway bar links have not yet been replaced since they were new, they are most likely overdue for replacement. Most people only replace parts as they fail as a matter of practicality (economics). However, a mechanic’s job should be to follow the routine service recommendations from the factory, which I believe this shop most likely has done.

If you’re looking for a more affordable route to have all of these services completed, you should look into our mobile mechanics from YourMechanic.com. We can replace oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets and the front end suspension pieces; typically for 30% less than what most shops charge.