Q: What would cause my 4 wheel drive not to work in my 1989 Chevrolet 2500

The 4x4 stopped working in my truck a couple years ago and I decided to try to figure out the problem well when I put a new fuse in the fuse box for the 4wd the fuse completely melted. I'm wondering what would cause it to melt and how can it be fixed.

Hello. If the fuse is melting right when it is installed then there is a short in the electrical system for that circuit. I would need to know exactly which fuse it is to know where to start but most of the time this is caused by a short in the encoder motor for the transfer case. I would not replace it until I fully tested it as the wiring can easily have issues and cause this. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [determine why the fuse is failing] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/electric-problems-inspection

• What would cause my 4 wheel drive not to work in my 1989 Chevrolet 2500