Q: What would cause my 4 wheel drive not to work in my 1989 Chevrolet 2500

The 4x4 stopped working in my truck a couple years ago and I decided to try to figure out the problem well when I put a new fuse in the fuse box for the 4wd the fuse completely melted. I'm wondering what would cause it to melt and how can it be fixed.

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If the fuse is melting right when it is installed then there is a short in the electrical system for that circuit. I would need to know exactly which fuse it is to know where to start but most of the time this is caused by a short in the encoder motor for the transfer case. I would not replace it until I fully tested it as the wiring can easily have issues and cause this. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [determine why the fuse is failing] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/electric-problems-inspection