Q: 2wd truck. Rear wheels "grabbing" when making tight turns.

My rear wheels seem to grab or bind or hop when making tight turns. I believe I have a bad u- joint already and wondering if this is related or a different issue. Thanks

Your truck has a limited slip differential and in most cases this is normal operation when making tight turns. If the turns you began to notice the grabbing are turns you have taken many times before, then it may be time to change the fluid in the rear differential. Limited slip gear oil has friction additives for the clutches in the differential that need to replaced over a number of miles. Usually on the order of 50,000 - 100,000 miles.

If you don’t usually take tight turns like the ones you began noticing the grabbing during, this is likely normal operation as limited slip differentials are known to have this characteristic. It is part of their design that produces the grabbing. Either way, I do suggest servicing the rear differential following the manufactures maintenance intervals. It will extend the life of your rear end.

The u-joint is not the cause of this problem. I recommend the following inspection to help you out. Differential fluid service

Good luck!