Q: Charging System Failure and Battery Light on

I was trying to jump start my 05 Buick Terraza V6 .5L automatic front wheel drive van and i didnt know that the jump start assist thats connected to the fuse box was suppost a positive terminal and i was trying to connect the negative cable to it, and it shot my starter. So i changed it and a couple of days later the "Charging System Failure" appeared on the dashboard. I changed the Alternator and Battery, but it is still not charging the battery. I changed the alternator and battery multiple times and still "charging system failure" appears. I checked all the fuses under the hood and the fuses on passenger side and all are in good condition. what could be the problem?

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a voltage regulator issue that might not be allowing the alternator to charge the battery sufficiently. The voltage regulator could be allowing the alternator to supply too much or too little amperage to the battery resulting in the battery never maintaining a consistent charge as it is designed to. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. A common sign of this is usually the acid inside the battery boiling causing the battery to swell. You may also smell a bit of smoke due to things potentially getting too hot. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s charging system.

3. Charging System Failure and Battery Light on