Q: 2012 Passat with a small water leak on the floor of the passenger side (back seat).

I have a water leak on the floor board of the back seat, passenger side. What's the best way for me to start determining where the leak is coming from? I do have a sunroof, although not sure if this could be causing it. There is no water leaking from the roof or doors, that I can see. I recently went for a car wash and it included an under body wash and it was definitely wet after. I live in Seattle so hard to say if it is the rain or not. :) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Hello, thank you for writing in. The best way to figure out where the leak is coming from is to replicate it. Due to the wet conditions in your area, the water may be coming in through a window seal or door seal. It can also get in through the bottom of the vehicle if water is being splashed from the bottom. Wait for a dry day and grab the hose to do some testing. Spray water from the bottom first, as it will decrease the chance of confusing your test results. If you can not get water to leak into the cab from the bottom, you should spray it from the top. There are drains that run along the roof of the car which are designed to direct water to flow away from the windows and sunroof. These clog easily with dirt and debris. If you find these are clogged, you can use compressed air and water to help clean them out. Only further testing will tell. For more help finding the cause of the leak, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. 2012 Passat with a small water leak on the floor of the passenger side (back seat).