Q: 2012 Hyundai sonata My brake lights won't come on also the shifter won't move from park unless done manually

asked by on February 08, 2018

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata I replace the steering coupler then afterwards the brake lights won't come on and the car shifter won't move out of park I tried to replace the brake light switch and still no luck also check the fuse and it seems good.

Inasmuch as the problem started after the bushing replacement, the cause is most likely a loose connection in one of the wiring harnesses that was removed when you replaced the bushing. The reason the brake lights don’t work at the same time as you have this no shift (interlock) issue is those functions are on the same circuit. Basically, to fix something like this there are two options: 1) re-check each and every electrical connector that was involved in the repair; or 2) use the factory service manual diagnostic, and accompanying wiring diagrams, to specifically troubleshoot the brake light/shift interlock circuit. If option one doesn’t yield a result, option 2 becomes your only course. If you request service from YourMechanic, the responding certified mechanic can trace the problem for you as well. If you want to go that route, please schedule service via YourMechanc’s brake light switch/circuit - shift interlock service page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.