Q: 2004 Mazda Tribubte shut off

asked by on October 24, 2016

My Mazda tribute starts up and revs to 3000 rpm then shuts off emediatly ? Am thinking it is the IAC but not sure... I unplug the IAC and it spits and spiders for a few minutes longer than it does plugged in.. any ideas at all would be helpful..thanks

This may be a sign of a failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. In cases where this valve is clogged or failing, the engine will tend to stall instead of slowing to an idle after the release of the throttle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to replace your idle air control valve.