Q: 2002 Chevy Trail Blazer dies out

I have an O2 Chevy Trail Blazer. I've changed the sparkplugs and also cleaned the throttle body but I didn't change the fuel filter. Couple of weeks ago, it died on me, but it started back up. I'm having this problem. Is it the fuel pump?

A: The first thing you want to do is change th...

The first thing you want to do is change the fuel filter. If the fuel filter is clogged, or has a problem, it will cause the symptoms you're describing. So changing the fuel filter might solve your whole problem. If it doesn't, then you need to have the fuel pump pressure tested which is how you test the fuel pump. You can test the pressure and also the volume. If that task is beyond you, get a mechanic like the guys from YourMechanic to come and do the testing for you to find a fix for why your car dies out.

Don't guess with problems like this, it's expensive and can often get you nowhere while wasting your money. The best thing to do is to run some tests first. Also, on that particular vehicle there's no sensor telling the computer how much fuel pressure to pump. That being said, if you don't have any trouble codes and the Check Engine Light isn't coming on, often times the problem is the fuel pump.