Q: 2000 Sentra shaking, hesitating, heat coming through ac vents, smoke from engine when hot.

asked by on September 25, 2017

Bought car recently, and about two weeks later it started hesitating and jerking a bit, sounding and feeling like it might stall. Auto zone code was the MAF. Took it to a mechanic who replaced an ignition coil plus connector, and another connector. Drove vehicle for 4 days with no problem, then after a 30 minute trip, smoke started coming out fro the engine area, check engine light flashing, and began jerking and hesitation again. Took it to another mechanic who replaced the valve cover which was cracked. Drove it 10 minutes to work and back and it was fine. Drove it 20 minutes the next day, let it sit for about 30 minutes then when I began driving it started jerking and shaking and hesitating immediately. Hot air was blowing in through the vents on the way home, the check engine light was flashing and when we got home, whitish smoke was coming from the back area of the engine compartment. Drove it to store yesterday, no problems going, but it did act up on the way home without smoke.

You need to have computer tested to see if you have misfire codes and may have got oil onto one or more of the spark plugs and coils causing the misfire. The A/C will not work normally since the computer will turn it off if it is misfiring. With the smoke you see may be left over oil that was spilled during valve cover service. Have engine rechecked for oil leaks and possible overheating.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr