Q: "service engine soon" light came on at the same time my low gas light came on. It has not turned off since I put gas into the car.

asked by on August 19, 2017

My "service engine soon" light came on at the same time my "low gas" light . Yes, I was low on gas, however it has not gone off since I put gas in (half tank). I checked fluids, added a little antifreeze to radiator and overflow container and made sure oil level was good. Any suggestions?

Service Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Rebecca. The Service light is a vague warning and can indicate something as simple as too many miles between oil changes to potentially serious faults in the engine. In most cases, the low fuel level would not trigger this particular warning light - unless there was damage to the fuel pump. However, if you added gasoline and the car is running fine, then it’s likely that some routine service is due, and not related to the fuel level. The best way to determine what service is due or to verify that everything is good with your car is to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a service light inspection.