Q: "AWD is disabled" message after brakes/rotors replaced

The day after having the brakes and rotors replaced, the message appeared: “AWD is disabled.” The mechanic told me that this message has nothing to do with the brake and rotor replacements. However, a dealership told me that it very well could be connected and that the mechanic might have used the wrong rotors. He said that the rotors should be “reluctor” rotors. What would you suggest for this?

This is true. The new rotors would have a reluctor wheel on the back side of them which allow the wheel speed sensor to get a signal that the vehicle wheel is moving. If the incorrect rotor was installed for a vehicle that does not have ABS or AWD, then the system cannot detect the vehicle speed of the wheel and would turn on the light and set codes in the computer.

There are different rotors for this vehicle and the ones with the reluctors are twice as expensive as the ones without. The vehicle without AWD rotors are incorrect for your vehicle with AWD. I’d recommend having the mechanic double check to see if the correct parts were used.

If you need assistance with this, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can inspect your brake rotors to ensure proper installment and diagnose any other faults. Once that is done, an accurate repair can be made.

3. "AWD is disabled" message after brakes/rotors replaced