P2568 code definition
Direct O-zone Reduction Catalyst Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
What the P2568 code means
P2568 is an OBD-II generic code that the engine control module (ECM) has detected the engine o-zone reduction catalyst temperature sensor to be out of specification range or performance has gone out of specification parameters.
What causes the P2568 code?
- The ECM monitors the catalyst temperature with a sensor mounted in the exhaust after the catalyst.
- The catalyst temperature sensor is inoperative or is slow in response to exhaust temperature.
- The exhaust may have air leaks into the exhaust before the sensor causing incorrect operation.
What are the symptoms of the P2568 code?
- The Check Engine Light will be illuminated and the code is set in ECM memory.
- The engine may have an exhaust leak.
- The sensor may not cause any drive complaints.
How does a mechanic diagnose the P2568 code?
Scans codes and documents the freeze frame data in order to verify the problem
Clears the engine codes and road tests the vehicle to verify concern comes back
Monitors the sensor PID on a scanner to see if sensor indicates the proper temperature of the exhaust as per specifications
Checks the sensor for damage to the sensor or wiring
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2568 code?
Failing to repair any exhaust leaks or damage causing the sensor performance to be out of specifications
Failing to check the wiring harness and connection to the sensor for problems before replacing the sensor or catalyst
How serious is the P2568 code?
The Check Engine Light being on causes the vehicle to fail emission testing.
The sensor system for the catalyst temperature is important to keep from overheating the catalyst and causing damage to the catalyst.
What repairs can fix the P2568 code?
- Replacing the o-zone reduction catalyst temperature sensor
- Replacing the catalyst if damaged from over temperature conditions
- Repairing the wiring shorted or open to the sensor or connector
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P2568 code
Code P2568 is triggered when the catalyst temperature sensor is out of specifications and can cause the catalyst to be overheated and damaged. When repairing the temperature sensor, check the catalyst for damage from overheating by looking at the catalyst housing for large discoloration or heat damage.
Need help with a P2568 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.