P0235 code definition
Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Malfunction
What the P0235 code means
P0235 is an OBD-II generic code that is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects intake boost pressure sensor A input malfunction when compared to the manifold pressure sensor (MAP) at idle, and with the key turned on before starting the engine.
What causes the P0235 code?
The turbo boost sensor and the MAP sensor do not correlate the same reading with the engine at idle and when the key is on and the engine is off.
The turbo boost pressure sensor A is contaminated or clogged
The turbo boost pressure sensor A is slow to respond to changing pressure
What are the symptoms of the P0235 code?
The Check Engine Light will be illuminated and the P0235 code set in ECM memory
The engine turbo boost may be turned off by the ECM and the engine will lack power
The engine may lack some power during acceleration if the boost sensor is failing to register the correct amount of boost pressure
How does a mechanic diagnose the P0235 code?
- Scans codes and documents the freeze frame data in order to verify the problem
- Clears the codes to verify whether the concern comes back
- Checks the operation of the boost pressure sensor compared to the MAP sensor
- Checks the turbo boost sensor for blockage of the sensor port
- Checks the turbo boost sensor connector for loose or corroded pins
Common mistakes when diagnosing the P0235 code?
Follow these simple guidelines to prevent misdiagnosis:
- Check the boost pressure sensor hose for obstructions or kinks
- Verify that the connections to the sensor are secure and not leaking or kinked
How serious is the P0235 code?
- The boost pressure in the intake can give you a lot of power. If the turbo boost sensor is malfunctioning, then the ECM may disable the turbo boost and you would have a lack of power.
What repairs can fix the P0235 code?
Replacing the boost sensor if it is not giving the correct input pressure reading to the ECM
Repairing or replacing hoses and connections to the turbo boost sensor that have kinks or blockage of the lines
Additional comments for consideration regarding the P0235 code
Code P0235 is triggered by the intake boost sensor indicating a malfunction condition of which the ECM cannot determine the cause. The most common failure is with the boost sensor.
Need help with a P0235 code?
YourMechanic offers certified mobile mechanics who will come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your vehicle. Get a quote and book an appointment online or speak to a service advisor at 1-800-701-6230.