Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Delaware

Each state has its own specific requirements for disabled drivers. Below are some guidelines for the state of Delaware to help you understand whether you are eligible to receive disabled driver benefits.

There are two types of disability permits in Delaware: placards and license plates. Placards hang on your rearview mirror so that law enforcement officers are able to see them. Placards are issued to those drivers with temporary or permanent disabilities. License plates replace your former plate, and are available to those drivers with permanent disabilities and to disabled veterans.


Let’s talk about placards for disabled drivers in the state of Delaware. To apply for a disabled driver placard you must submit the Application for Special License or Special Parking ID Placard for Persons with Disabilities (Form MV474).

You must verify on this application that you suffer from a disability that inhibits or restricts your movement. Be sure to have a licensed physician complete the part of the form that deals with your medical condition.

How do I know if my medical condition entitles me to a disabled parking placard and/or license plate?

The following is a list of medical conditions that according to the state of Delaware entitle you to a disabled driver placard and/or license.

  • Loss of use of both hands.
  • A neurological, orthopedic, or arthritic condition that restricts movement.
  • The inability to walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.
  • You require portable oxygen.
  • Legal blindness.
  • A lung disease that restricts your mobility.
  • A cardiac condition classified as a Class III or IV by the American Heart Association.

Please note that if you are over the age of 85 that you are considered a disabled driver and do not require certification by a licensed physician.

Unlike license plates, parking placards are free. Fill out your application (Form MV474) and submit it in person at a Delaware DMV office or mail your application to:

State of Delaware
Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 698
Dover, DE 19903
Attn: Correspondence

What if I am visiting from out of state?

If you are visiting Delaware of traveling through from out of state, you may use your current placard and/or license plate to park in designated handicap areas. However, when in Delaware you must comply with this state’s rules and guidelines regarding disabled driving.

Disabled driver license plates are a little bit different. Unlike the placards, license plates are not free. Disability license plates cost the standard vehicle registration fee. You still go through the same process to apply for the plate as you do for the placard: complete Form MV474 and submit it either in person at your local Delaware DMV or mail it to:

State of Delaware
Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 698
Dover, DE 19903
Attn: Correspondence

What about veterans?

Disabled veterans requesting a disabled veteran plate will need to pay an additional one-time 10-dollar fee. This is because veteran’s plates in Delaware are considered personalized plates, and therefore you must pay the personalized plate fee if you wish to have the disabled veteran license plate.

Disabled veterans must also complete a different application (Form MV549) in order to receive their personalized license plate. .

Additionally, you must present a copy of your eligibility certificate from the Regional Veteran Administration Office.

How do I renew my placard and/or license plate?

In order to renew a handicap placard or license plate in Delaware, you must reapply for after your placard or license plate has expired. Temporary placards are valid for up to 90 days, and if you wish to extend that time you must reapply for the placard, which requires new medical certification. A permanent disabled placard is valid up to three years. To renew your permanent placard you have two options:

Apply online using the DMV’s online system Apply by mail. This involves sending the Self Certification for Special License Plate or Parking ID Placard for Persons with Disabilities (Form MV2011) to the address on the form.

What if I lose my placard?

If your placard and/or license plate is lost, damaged, or stolen, you may apply for a replacement online with the DMV’s renewal system.

Please note that disabled driver placards and/or license plates allow you to park in any place marked with the International Symbol of Access. Disabled placards and plates do not allow you to park in areas marked “no stopping” or “no parking anytime.” Also, please be aware that while Delaware recognizes out of state disabled driving permits, not all states recognize Delaware’s disability permits. Make sure to check with the state you are visiting or driving through for a list of their guidelines and laws for disabled drivers.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Vermont
In In the State of Vermont, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) provides special license plates and placards for people who have disabilities. If you have a disability that qualifies you for a plate or placard, you can apply for...
Disabled Driver laws and Permits in Wisconsin
If If you live in the State of Wisconsin, and you have a disability, then you could be entitled to certain privileges and rights accorded to you by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and Division of Motor Vehicles. Both organizations...
What are the Car Pool Rules in Delaware?
While While Delaware roads are best known for their rural, backroad, scenic routes (https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/top-10-scenic-drives-in-delaware), the majority of Delaware drivers have to travel on the state’s large freeways on a day-to-day basis. Many of these freeways have carpool lanes, which vehicles...

Related questions

Ticking sound from engine
Ticking is usually valve train related. Your engine has hydraulic lifters, they are self adjusting. One thing that can go wrong is the rocker stud can pull out of the head. They are pressed in originally. Check the nuts have...
Car won't start with new battery after sitting a year
Hello. If the vehicle only starts with the jumper wire method, then it is likely its an issue with the ignition switch (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/ignition-switch-replacement) itself. It's possible that the switch itself is bad or the key has a become bad. Try...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com