Q: 2005 ford mustang GT wont fill up past the halfway mark

Gas gauge not going past 1/2 tank mark. Took to dealer they dropped tank replaced the pump.has a duel tank. Went to fill up and still won't fill gas to the other side . Now they want to replace the tank at 2700 $ cost. Why can't we just put a regular gas tank on. Not the duel one.

Hello. We will be happy to assist you. Anything built before 4/27/05 may develop problems with the fuel tank and a replacement is suggested. The issue with those tanks are that they won’t fill up all the way because the gas passages can not carry enough fuel into the tank before clogging up. Therefore a modified fuel tank was designed to combat this issue which was installed on all Mustangs after April 27th 2005. Here at YourMechanic we do have technicians who can install your fuel tank at an extremely competitive rate. However some customers do not replace the fuel tank and report that having the gas pump at a 180 degree angle while filling up changes the flow of fuel and allows the gas tank to fill up properly. We couldn’t suggest you try that but it’s something you may want to keep in mind for emergency situations.

3. 2005 ford mustang GT wont fill up past the halfway mark