Q: Will not shift and stuck in 1st gear.

asked by on December 29, 2016

Battery dead charged battery started car but did not drive it .next day battery dead again this time jumped car. started it the battery is a few months old. drove car out of driveway seem to hasetate at first. then it would not shift the rpms were at like 2.5 at 20 MPH. I turned around and went home I disconnected the battery and put on the charger what could be wrong????

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. If the battery keeps going dead overnight, then there is a parasitic load applied to the battery. Charge the battery to a full charge of 12.6 volts. With the battery installed in the car, remove the negative battery cable (-) from the battery. Make sure that the ignition key is in the off position. Then get a digital meter and put one lead on the negative battery cable (-) and the other lead on the negative battery post (-) and see if there is a voltage reading. If there is a voltage of 6 volts or higher, then there is a load on the battery. Operate everything in the car with the key off and see if the meter goes to or near zero. What ever is on will need repaired or replaced. The transmission will act up when there is not enough power to the transmission. If you need further assistance with your electrical system, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.