Q: will a bad catalyst cause my truck to not want to stay on?

My truck has a check engine light on for a catalyst, and started making a nasty rattleing sound when it drives. Will the bad catalyst cause my truck to want to die when I come to a stop?

If the catalytic converters are broken apart inside the exhaust you will get a rattle in most cases and the loose substrate inside can partly or completely block the exhaust flow and cause loss of power and stalling or no starts in extreme cases. You can test to see if they are broken apart by hitting the catalyst with a rubber hammer to see if it rattles. Replace the catalyst if it rattles.

3. will a bad catalyst cause my truck to not want to stay on?