Q: White smoke coming out my exhaust.

Hi there i just recently bought my honda accord ive had it for about a month already and i drove it without oil for a couple of days. Once i noticed my motor started to make a knocking i checked my oil and it was at the very tip of the stick. So i put oil and now everytime i start it to heat the motor up a cloud of white smoke comes out my exhaust; but this only happens when the motor isnt heated up. After its heated up theres no white smoke as i use it. Please help i would hate to find out my car is no good after a months use.

A: Hi there. The problem could be that your va...

Hi there. The problem could be that your valve stem seals are leaking oil into the cylinders when the car is off. Once you start the car, the engine burns the excess oil that is in the cylinders. This issue is most likely due to running the engine with low oil levels. Oil keeps the seals lubricated and if they get hot, they split and allow oil to run down the valves and into the cylinders. There is no quick fix for this and I do not recommend oil supplements that claim they stop smoke and fix engines. These products can cause more damage to the engine over time. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the white smoke coming out of your vehicle and suggest an appropriate repair.