Q: white smoke

Hi, When I accelerate hard to merge onto the highway, I notice white smoke when looking into my rear view mirror. It has happened often and only when pushing the gas hard. I'm not losing any coolant or oil. I check them often. Both physically look fine. Also, I sometimes smell coolant from the exhaust when I remote start my car. Should this be cause for concern? I know if I take to dealer they will probably not be able to duplicate the problem. There are no check engine lights. Thank you Mark Anderson

Hello Mr. Anderson, thank you for writing in. Lets start by saying that most vehicles will produce a small amount of white smoke right when starting. This is happening because condensation builds up in the exhaust and engine compartment. This creates steam as the engine and exhaust systems heat up. This should dissipate eventually after the car reaches around 160 degrees F, or all of the moisture has disappeared. If your vehicle is producing a very large amount of white smoke, or it is happening for the entire duration of the drive, you are burning some kind of fluid. Oil and coolant are the most common. The amount of smoke you see would be relevant to the amount of fluid you are losing. Double check all of the fluids in the vehicle. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.