Q: Whining noise coming from engine.

asked by on February 16, 2017

Monday this week, my Explorer started to make a whining noise in the morning. I would start the car, when i press on the accelerator, the whining noise would get louder. It does not make a noise at idle. As the car warmed up, the noise would stop after 5-10 minutes of driving. Now the noise continues throughout the day. More noticeable on the freeway, again only when acceleration.

I am no mechanic, but I am guessing the alternator, but i've read maybe a fuel or water pump. Any help would be appreciated.

Alternator Replacement $149.30 - $1391.75 Get a Quote
Water Pump Replacement $171.86 - $1147.02 Get a Quote

Hi There, I think you are on the right track in thinking of things like the alternator or the water pump as those are two things that immediately will correspond to RPM change when accelerating. If it is the alternator, try to notice if you voltage gauge fluctuates as this will indicate an alternator that is no longer maintaining a consistent charge and may be close to failing. You may also want to check for leaks around your water pump, particularly around the shaft area, as this is a common place for them to leak and will usually be the center point for the whining noise. This will also of course be accompanied by a change in engine temperature as well if there is coolant leaking. If you need any further help with this, please reach out to us here at YourMechanic as we are always hereto help.