Q: When the car is running it doesn't want to shift gears. But when it's off it will shift gears 2004 Hyundai Accent

When I climb in it and and start it up I can't get it to shift through the gears. But if I shut it off it shifts through them with no problems. If I sit and pump the clutch for a while and shift it around then start it up it will start shifting but not easily. But gets easy over time of pumping the clutch and shifting

Clutch is not fully disengaging Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi - check your clutch hydraulic fluid level. The clutch reservoir may be one and the same as for the brake system - they both use brake fluid. I believe that most likely your clutch slave cylinder has failed and should be replaced. This failure results in the clutch failing to disengage, making shifting impossible, and damaging the transmission. It is also possible that the pilot bearing has seized. I recommend a clutch hydraulic system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.