Q: when the a/c is on it blows heat. sometimes.

most times the a/c works properly. other times it blows heat when the a/c is on. I will turn off the car and it will reset itself.

A: Depending on the type of vehicle and system...

Depending on the type of vehicle and system design, you most likely have an A/C blend door actuator stuck in heat mode or an A/C relay not engaging. It may also take a moment for the air to actually start blowing cool if it is low on coolant. Have a certified technician from YourMechanic come to your car's location to diagnose your AC system and let you know what needs to be done.