Q: When my truck is shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, it make a loud thumbing noise.

It's usually when I have get up to speed fast. For example, when I'm getting on the beltway and getting up to speed fast. I notice that when it goes from 2nd to 3rd it makes that thumbing sound. It's an automatic trans. I had the truck for 2 years now. It started doing this last yer just a few times, now it's getting worse. Please help I don't have a lot of money to spend just trying to figure out what the problem is. Thanks for your time.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Unfortunately tr...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Unfortunately transmission problems are usually among some of the more expensive repairs. With the information given, the issue could lie in several different things and we would need to physically inspect it to give a further diagnosis. Always start diagnosing by checking the simple things first. Check the level of your transmission fluid. Make sure it is topped off and clean. When was the last time you had your transmission serviced? Do you have a clean filter in place? This is always a good place to start. You may find signs of more serious transmission issues when changing out the fluid. If these maintenance steps have taken place, and the issue still exists, you may want to think about issues with your torque converter. Further inspection at this point will be needed. Diagnosis is best done when a technician can perform a test drive.