Q: When do the vehicle stability control and traction control systems operate?

asked by on December 14, 2015

When do the vehicle stability control and traction control systems operate?

Your vehicle is equipped with both a vehicle stability control system (VCS) and a traction control system (TRAC). They operate independent of your input – they come on and off automatically, without you having to do anything. They will automatically engage when the car’s computer detects slipping, or if a wheel spins free. You will see the VSC/TRAC light come on in the dash when they activate. You’ll also hear a buzzer.

You can disable VCS and TRAC if you need to. This can be necessary in some conditions, as both systems will divert power from the drive wheels to stop slipping. To turn them off, just push the TRC button on the dash. You’ll see a light on the dash that reads AUTO LSD come on and the TRAC Off light will also illuminate. The slip indicator light will flash.

When you push the TRAC button again, the lights should go out and the VSC and TRAC systems should go back to automatic operation.

Tips

• VSC and TRAC are enabled every time the engine cranks, even if you turned them off before shutting it down.

• If you turn off the TRAC system only, it will re-enable when you pick up speed.