Q: What sort of seat should my child use?

What sort of seat should my child use?

As a parent, it’s vital that you ensure your child (or children) is seated in the right type of seat. The wrong seat, or the right seat incorrectly secured, can put them in danger of serious injury or even death. Here’s what you need to know about seating options and your kids:

• Children 40 pounds or under should be in a child safety seat in the back (rear facing).

• Children under 4 feet 9 inches should be in a booster seat (this also applies to kids over the age of 4, but under 12 and weighing between 40 and 80 pounds).

• Children over 4’9” but not yet over the age of 12 should stay in the back seat and use the seat belt.

Tip

Consult your state’s specific laws governing child car seats. The tips above are general guidelines, but each state in the US has specific laws governing where your child can sit, and at what age/weight they can graduate from one seat to the next.