Q: What should I know about towing my vehicle behind an RV?

What should I know about towing my vehicle behind an RV?

If you’re planning your summer road trip and thinking about towing your SUV with the motorhome, there are several things you need to know ahead of time. While you can tow your vehicle behind an RV (unlike many other vehicles), there are specific steps that need to be followed:

• 2WD: If your SUV is two-wheel drive, you can tow it either with all four wheels on the ground, or with the front wheels raised on a dolly.

• 4WD: If you have a four-wheel drive SUV, you can tow it either with all four wheels on the ground, or all four wheels off the ground. Do NOT tow it with the front wheels on a dolly.

• Make sure to have your transmission serviced before towing.
    • Only tow your vehicle forward.
    • Don’t leave the parking brake on.
    • The transmission should be in neutral.
    • The ignition should be turned to ACC. Make sure no electronics are on.
    • Avoid speeds higher than 65 MPH for automatics and 70 MPH for stick shifts.
    • Warm the transmission fluid before towing, and then repeat this process every 6 hours.
  3. What should I know about towing my vehicle behind an RV?