Q: What safety tips should I follow when performing vehicle maintenance?

What safety tips should I follow when performing vehicle maintenance?

A: You can perform many different maintenance ...

You can perform many different maintenance tasks on your car yourself, but it’s important that you ensure you’re safe while doing so. Here are some of the most important tips to follow at all times, whether you’re changing the oil or adjusting the tire pressure:

1. Always make sure the car is in park with the parking brake correctly set.

2. Never check the engine coolant when the engine is hot (a visual inspection of the fluid level in the reservoir is OK).

3. Never touch the engine or exhaust components when they’re hot. Always let the car cool down first.

4. Never work on the car when the engine is running in an enclosed area. Exhaust fumes are toxic.

5. Never smoke or have an open flame or sparks near your vehicle.