Q: What is wrong with my speakers?

The speakers in the doors of my 2007 Chevy Silverado have stopped working one by one. I have about 80,000 miles on the truck and the problem started with one speaker in the driver’s side door but now only one tweeter works intermittently. How do I fix this problem and will new speakers be at risk of breaking if I replace the factory ones?

I have seen the problem with your truck on several occasions and in most cases the stereo unit was the problem. You may have issues with the speakers, stereo unit or wiring. If the stereo unit is faulty, the unit would have to be removed and sent out for repair or replaced with a new unit and reprogrammed to work with your truck. You may also have bad speakers. I would suggest having YourMechanic do a thorough system test with a known good speaker at each speaker wire that you say does not work. If sound comes out at all wires tested then stereo unit is okay and speakers need to be replaced. However, if no sound comes out, then stereo unit needs to be repaired or replaced. YourMechanic can do all the testing needed and isolate failed parts to help you save from replacing good components.