Q: What is wrong with my car and is it serious?

I was driving to work when my oil light, brake light, and battery light illuminated on the dash board. I stopped and opened the hood to check oil and loose battery terminal but everything was okay. I tried starting the car but to no avail. My mechanic initially said a loose nut made the timing chain not to work well. He has retimed it but still car won't start. He now claims the valves are broken and need replacement.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. From the firs...

Hello, thanks for writing in. From the first explanation of what happened, it sounded like the vehicle has a bad alternator and that it caused the battery to fail. This would causes these problems. With that being said I have seen a lot of timing chain issues on this engine. The timing chain tensioner fails or the timing chain itself breaks which will cause these same things to happen. If the timing chain does fail it causes serious engine damage to the valves. If you want a second opinion on this engine problem, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.