Q: What is causing the stiffness in steering?

Steering is stiff when I first start driving and seems to get easier over time. What is causing the stiffness in steering?

Hi there:

There are many items that could cause the steering wheel to be hard to steer initially. Sometimes, low air pressure can cause this issue. As the tires develop more heat, air pressure will increase (sometimes as much as 3 lbs.). Most of the time, low power steering fluid will cause this issue, or damage to the steering rack. The best thing you can do to determine exactly why this is happening to your Subaru is to have a professional mechanic complete a steering wheel is hard to turn inspection.

3. What is causing the stiffness in steering?