Q: What happens if the engine overheats?

What happens if the engine overheats?

If the coolant level in your car is low, the engine may overheat. The Fusion is designed with a fail-safe engine cooling mode that will activate if the temperature exceeds a certain amount. Here’s what you need to know:

1. If the engine begins to overheat, the temperature gauge will move into the red zone.

2. The Check Engine Light will come on in the dash.

3. Fail-safe mode will be activated, which means:

• The engine will begin running rough

• The engine will lose some power

• Several cylinders in the engine will be disabled to act as air pumps to cool off the engine.

1. When this happens, pull over somewhere safe.

2. Have your car towed and serviced immediately.

Tip

You can drive your car for a short distance in fail-safe mode, but the engine can shut off at any time to prevent further damage. Limit your driving and use caution.

3. What happens if the engine overheats?