Q: What does the passenger front air bag light indicate?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What does the passenger front air bag light indicate?

Your Altima is equipped with an intelligent system of sensors designed to determine if the passenger front air bag should be on or off. The Air Bag Off Light on your dash tells you the status of the system. Here’s what you should know.

1. If the Air Bag Off Light is on, it means the passenger front air bag will not deploy.

2. The light may come on for several reasons, including the seat being unoccupied, or being occupied by someone without enough weight (a child, for instance).

3. The light will turn off when the passenger seat is occupied by an adult of sufficient weight.

4. If the light is off, it means the air bag system is on and should deploy in qualifying impacts.

Tip

If a heavy object is in the seat, it may trigger the weight sensor and turn the air bag on even though the seat is unoccupied.