Q: What does it mean if there’s condensation in the headlight assembly?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does it mean if there’s condensation in the headlight assembly?

Contrary to popular belief, your headlight assembly isn’t airtight. There are vents built in to allow pressure to vent. Otherwise, pressure changes could lead to a cracked lens. Because there are vents in the assembly, some moisture can enter. This is normal. Here’s what the automaker recommends regarding moisture and condensation in your headlight assembly:

• Thin mist – Normal
  • Light mist covering under half of the lens – Normal
  • Water puddle – Abnormal
  • Drips, streaks or large droplets – Abnormal

Tip

If you are experiencing either abnormal condition, have your headlight assembly inspected. It could indicate a cracked lens that needs to be replaced.