Q: Upon hitting a curb, a piece of aluminum with foam on it ( about the size of my hand ) ripped off of my 14 focus. what is it?

asked by on March 29, 2017

Upon hitting a curb, what I assume to be part of the heat shield underneath the car ripped off. It looks like a piece of aluminum with some foam underneath it, about the size of my hand. Is it a heat shield like i presumed? Should I be worried about this being gone? What will happen if i don't do anything? Thank you and please get back as soon as possible :)

If you hit a curb hard enough to cause a splash or heat shield (or bumper fascia component, if it is that) to dislodge, I would be more worried about damage to the tire, rim, and possibly the suspension, particularly the wheel alignment. The shield you are describing could be a splash or heat shield component and really the only way to resolve this is to have someone take a look at it up close, perhaps at the same time that you have the suspension checked to be sure there is no other damage. With regard to the shield material, the problem is not just that a piece is missing but additionally, the integrity of the rest of the shield should be checked in order to determine if the rest is still securely attached or perhaps hanging loose. I would suggest you request a suspension inspection and the responding certified mechanic will get this investigated for you and let you know of any required repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.