Q: What does it mean if the Low Oil Pressure light on the dash is blinking?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does it mean if the Low Oil Pressure light on the dash is blinking?

Your dash holds a number of very important lights. The Low Oil Pressure indicator is one of the most essential. If this light comes on and flashes, it means there’s something very wrong and you need to take immediate action. If the light comes on, here’s what you need to do:

1. Find somewhere safe and park the car right away.

2. Turn on your hazard lights if you’re on the road.

3. Turn off the engine.

4. Let it sit for around 60 seconds.

5. Pull the hood release under the dash and then open the hood of the car.

6. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, and then check the level.

7. If the oil is low (below the minimum mark), add oil and then recheck the level. Don’t overfill it.

8. Start the engine again and let it run for a minute. Check if the light stays on or goes out. If it goes out, you can get back on the road. If it does not go out within 10 seconds, cut the engine off and have the car towed.