Q: What can cause my front driver side wheel to grind during acceleration in my 2007 Chevrolet HHR

asked by on May 10, 2017

For about 8 months my car has been grinding with acceleration, getting louder the faster I go. It's gotten worse over time. The other day I pin pointed it to the driver side front wheel. I lifted it up and spun the wheel forward, there was a lot of hesitation and I heard some noise. When I tried spinning it backwards, there was even more hesitation. What could be causing this?

Grinding noise when braking Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It sounds like you have a failing front hub bearing. When they begin to fail they will sound just like what you are explaining. It can also be caused by a bad cv axle or an issue with the brakes but it sounds like the bearing. The vehicle would need to be put in the air and inspected for this. If you want to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose and repair why it is making a grinding noise] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/grinding-noise-when-braking-inspection

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr