What are the signs of a misfiring engine? I'm not sure if...

Q: What are the signs of a misfiring engine? I'm not sure if my car is misfiring or something else.

asked by on May 22, 2017

I have a check engine light on and recently my car has been backfiring or misfiring I'm not sure if I'm correct but it only happens when it's idling.

Misfire can be a very broad term that can describe a variety of symptoms, but as far as the Engine controller is concerned, a misfire occurs when combustion is not taking place when the controller is expecting it. The Controller can sense the small accelerations in the flywheel with the firing of each cylinder, and if it doesn’t see it at the appropriate time, it will turn on the check engine light and store a misfire code. Some misfires will be very subtle and the driver might not even notice them, and at other times its more obvious as the engine shakes and seems to lack power. Misfire can be caused by something as simple as a vacuum hose being off to bad ignition components or even serious engine damage. To have your misfire diagnosed at your convenience. Contact Your Mechanic. they will send a technician to your home or office to check out your misfiring Mustang and advise you as to what should be your next steps.